Humble Beginnings

The Paddington Sports Club of today came from humble beginnings – a tiny bowling green on the edge of Paddington Recreation Ground with a nearby horses’ stable used as a changing room.

That was 1905 but by 1928 the club’s popularity had grown and PSC moved to its current site. The new Clubhouse was opened complete with two full sized bowling rinks, 9 tennis courts and a putting green.

Kitty Godfree, the Wimbledon Champion of 1924 and 1926 was guest of honour.

Click the other images to find out more

PSC Growth

The standard of bowls was also exceptional and in 1930, PSC staged an international bowls match, England vs Australia.
Apart from the putting green all the other sports continue to thrive in the PSC of the 21st century, with the highly popular addition of a fully equipped gym and two state-of-the-art class squash courts. An indoor bowls rink now also hosts mini tennis courts to bring on young local players.

Click the other images to find out more

Tournament History

The club is affiliated to the LTA and since 1929 has run highly successful tournaments attracting top players. British legend Fred Perry won our Tournament in 1931 and Sue Barker lifted the ladies’ trophy in 1983. The club currently runs an annual British Tour Open Tournament and an LTA Ratings event.

Click the other images to find out more

The Heart of PSC

Popular corporate events are a regular part of life at PSC, with the bowls’ members hosting bowling days on the beautiful outdoor green and inside if the British weather is against us.

The deep bowling tradition still thrives at the heart of PSC with current members holding 38, the sport which brought about the creation of our club.

Click the other images to find out more